Tea-light cylinders

I’ve not had a lot of time the last few weeks to bash on with any bottles, so was determined to get a couple of bottles done this weekend. The first one was a litre bottle of Smirnoff vodka, which I topped off, edged and made into a vase of a useful size and strength. It had to be de-labeled, as it was a street salvaged bottle and the heavy rains of late had got to the paper, but it’s distinctive and embossed enough to still be quite noticeable as a recycled vase. 

The second bottle I completed today was an olive coloured minature wine bottle, and I was very keen to make another cylinder using this, for use as a tea-light hurricane when I can find nother piece of wood to router it in to. The first one was very successful, and this was a far superior bottle in terms of strength, quality and colour. Olive cylinderUsing the G2  cutter, I cut the top and bottom of the bottles at the very edges of the cylinder section of the bottle body to maximise the end result size. A change over of the well used cutting wheel and a drop of cutting oil ensured a clean cut. I broke the bottle using the regular hot water method, though neither face separated as cleanly as I would have hoped. This require some flattening edging, which was done carefully, before moving onto the main end edging of the two rims. The end result was very satisfactory, and is ready to be used to form a light shroud when I can find a piece of timber. The olive colour always looks far nicer than the regular green bottles I think, and I do like the extra challenge of doing both ends of a bottle to form these. They are giving me impetus to try more things to incorporate them, both in timber, and in the copper foil technique that I’m also currently learning.

Tea-light mounts

Just a short post showing a couple of tea-light bottle parts I’ve started from street salvaged bottles. The tea-light holder is to the right is the bottom of a Becks green beer bottle. Nothing too remarkable or different to various tea light holders you can buy cheaply from the shops, but just made for the sake of making something from a discarded bottle that was scuffed and tatty. I’m tempted to try and mix this in to a copper-foil project somehow – maybe a floating lilypad look or something. I need to find more time to practise that craft also.

Tealight partsFrom a salvaged mini-wine bottle I picked up from the waste ground on a demolished factory , I top and tailed the green bottle to try and make a cylinder like I did with the full size wine bottles. It cut well, is thick enough not to cause any weakness worries, and fits over a tea-light snugly. I’m intending routing a circular groove into a nice piece of wood when I find one, and making a miniature hurricane of some description , be it free-standing or forming a  table centre. No doubt I’ll post a photo when I get something done. These are just clearing some of the sitting stockpile of bottles I’ve built up. It’s attracting a snail or two in the yard!

Update:   today I found the little log section, and routered a circular channel out of it at a comfortable size for the cylinder.  Log cylinder tealightThe bottle cylinder was slightly off-round, and fairly thin at the two seam points, so I made this the bottom to put the best edge to the top. The 4mm Dremel router bit was more than wide enough to give a holding circle groove that coped with the slightly off-circle shape. The groove was dyed with an english oak colour, and left to dry. The inner circle is a perfect size for a tea-light, and the open top let’s it burn freely without any need for any holes to create an air draw.