Etched glass

A long bank holiday weekend gives some much needed time to make a couple of things from the growing stockpile of bottles in the yard.

One unusual bottle I’d got was a tall etched glass bottle, about 50mm in circumference with quite thick glass. I tried to cut it high, to leave a very tall etched vase, but during the separating process, it cracked vertically in the same stressed way the blue glass bottle did. I halted progress, and re-cut it comfortably below the crack, but the same thing happened again…and again…and a fourth time, leaving nothing of the body left to work with! Just one of those types of bottles that just doen’t play ball.

etched and greenUnderterred, I salvaged the neck, and with some careful edging, got the base to a good enough standard to form a base. I did the old placing one bottle on top of the other trick, to visualise the nicest option, and decided a green cider bottle base would be the right size and look pretty good on the neck. This was a straight forward bottle to do, and I bonded the prepared base to the etched neck with the daylight activated UV glue. The mix of green and acid-etched glass looks quite good together, so that’s another combination to look out for to do future combinations.

As I had plenty of time, I cut a green mini-wine bottle I brought home from last night’s quiz , and bonded that to a J.P.Chenet min-wine bottle neck, which is a nice design I’ve made a number of already. 

Christmas day fixing

I popped round to my sisters later on in the day, and was presented with the neck and base of an Edinburgh Crystal wine glass, kept for me  to see if it was any good to use for some glass tinkering. It had been accidentally caught with a wooden spoon during the day and had broken right at the base of the glass and the neck head. I’m sure it could have been useful, but I enquired where the rest of the glass was, as what I had there wasn’t too fragmented, so I figured it might fix. It was fished out of the bin, and only a small fragment was missing – Well worth a try with the UV bonding glue I use.

 

Repaired glass 

It has seemed to work quite well, though it will never fool David Dickinson, with a slight lean which couldn’t really be helped. It will keep the numbers right, and hopefully will still be in use next Christmas day. Time will tell!

 

Clear glass bonding

Having drank a couple of J2o orange drinks, the bottles looked promising in terms of shape to form a relatively attractive candle-holder. The base was flat, which should make for easier bonding onto a neck, and it also had a good cylindrical body. The shoulder part looked wide enough to be stable, and was quite shapely with a double curve, almost Ovalo style. I wasn’t sure at first that the bottle would fit on the Ephrem’s jig, but it’s much the same as an average beer bottle, so rotated comfortably on the rollers.

The pretty consistent glass cut nicely, just on the right point to make a nice foot for the neck to become the base. There was a small circle impression on there, from the bottle manufacture (a holding point presumably), bit it didn’t interfere with the cut, which turned out very cleanly. One of the YouTube videos said beer bottles were hard to cut because the glass was thin, but though this was a similar bottle, I didn’t find it any more difficult than the thicker wine bottle.  The two cut edges were finished with the diamond edging pads, and I repeated the bonding process as with the wine bottle. The glue application was fine, and because this bottle bottom was flat I decided to do the bond right in the window cill, and after pressing the bond to spread the UV glue, I just left the body rest on the neck without holding it. It didn’t move, and in the bright sun, the bond was solid after only about 30 seconds. I guess being clear glass aided that curing time also. The bond itself was very consistent, and almost undetectable from most angles. The smooth curve of the neck mouth seems to allow the bonding glue to level off just nicely and form a circular bond that blends in beautifully if you get the amount and even pressure to spread just right. I’m maybe using more than is required, but it looks good.

I left the candle-holder in the window for another hour or so, and then buffed it up to a sparkle. At this stage the bottle begins to show it’s ripples and waves in strong light, which is a nice effect. Here’s the end result:

Clear candle-holder