A long bank holiday weekend gives some much needed time to make a couple of things from the growing stockpile of bottles in the yard.
One unusual bottle I’d got was a tall etched glass bottle, about 50mm in circumference with quite thick glass. I tried to cut it high, to leave a very tall etched vase, but during the separating process, it cracked vertically in the same stressed way the blue glass bottle did. I halted progress, and re-cut it comfortably below the crack, but the same thing happened again…and again…and a fourth time, leaving nothing of the body left to work with! Just one of those types of bottles that just doen’t play ball.
Underterred, I salvaged the neck, and with some careful edging, got the base to a good enough standard to form a base. I did the old placing one bottle on top of the other trick, to visualise the nicest option, and decided a green cider bottle base would be the right size and look pretty good on the neck. This was a straight forward bottle to do, and I bonded the prepared base to the etched neck with the daylight activated UV glue. The mix of green and acid-etched glass looks quite good together, so that’s another combination to look out for to do future combinations.
As I had plenty of time, I cut a green mini-wine bottle I brought home from last night’s quiz , and bonded that to a J.P.Chenet min-wine bottle neck, which is a nice design I’ve made a number of already.