1664 go large

Probably one of my favourite beer bottles to find and cut has been the green embossed Kronenbourg 1664 lager bottles. Not only is it a well made glass bottle, but has a nice looking embosed number around the lower body and a clean flat ridge to set the cutter to, leaving a very useful and good looking size of pot to hold tea-light candles in. I’ve literally made dozens of these already, and they work well.

I spotted a much larger version (660 ml)  in the supermarket this week, so grabbed one to try, but had to work my way through the crate to find a good clean one that didn’t have a rub on the shoulders where the bottles collide in transport. Being a tea-totaller, I whipped it round to the brother-in-law to do me the favour of performing the gruelling task of drinking a free beer, which he did with consummate speed and good grace!

1664 660mlI set the bottle up on the Ephrem’s cutter, as it was a good fit at this size, and cut a neat score, which  broke cleanly using the regular hot and cold water technique, saving both the base and the large neck which I’ll retain for another project. I edged both in my usual fashion, using two grades of diamond pads, and the end results were perfect. A very satisfying try-out of a useful bottle design in a larger size. I’ve photographed it here with the regular beer size for comparison. It’s large enough to take a smaller pillar candle, and could be used as a centre with a few smaller 1664 tea-lights around it.

Tea-light cylinders

I’ve not had a lot of time the last few weeks to bash on with any bottles, so was determined to get a couple of bottles done this weekend. The first one was a litre bottle of Smirnoff vodka, which I topped off, edged and made into a vase of a useful size and strength. It had to be de-labeled, as it was a street salvaged bottle and the heavy rains of late had got to the paper, but it’s distinctive and embossed enough to still be quite noticeable as a recycled vase. 

The second bottle I completed today was an olive coloured minature wine bottle, and I was very keen to make another cylinder using this, for use as a tea-light hurricane when I can find nother piece of wood to router it in to. The first one was very successful, and this was a far superior bottle in terms of strength, quality and colour. Olive cylinderUsing the G2  cutter, I cut the top and bottom of the bottles at the very edges of the cylinder section of the bottle body to maximise the end result size. A change over of the well used cutting wheel and a drop of cutting oil ensured a clean cut. I broke the bottle using the regular hot water method, though neither face separated as cleanly as I would have hoped. This require some flattening edging, which was done carefully, before moving onto the main end edging of the two rims. The end result was very satisfactory, and is ready to be used to form a light shroud when I can find a piece of timber. The olive colour always looks far nicer than the regular green bottles I think, and I do like the extra challenge of doing both ends of a bottle to form these. They are giving me impetus to try more things to incorporate them, both in timber, and in the copper foil technique that I’m also currently learning.